Introduction of Community Medicine
The Vision of the Community Medicine Department is to be recognized as a leading Department of Public Health and Primary Care through excellent interdisciplinary research and education of highly qualified professionals and with a major impact on community health, best practice and health policy.
The Mission of the department is:
- To conduct high-impact interdisciplinary research, on a national and international level
- To provide excellent education in different domains of Community Medicine
- To supply health care professionals and institutions with the insights, concepts and techniques that will enable them to respond optimally to the health needs and expectations of patient and society
- To enhance the collaboration with clinical medicine and research
- To create a stimulating environment for the students, staff and particularly young researchers
Community Medicine is mainly concerned with the health of population and plays leading and collaborative roles in the maintenance and improvement of health of the community. The emphasis is on prevention of disease in the community, recognition of environmental and occupational hazards and the early diagnosis of disease to prevent disability. It is a well-recognized discipline that aims to train health professionals in combating community health related issues. Objective of the department is to serve the process of inculcating the students with the holistic approach in health care provision.
The main function of this department is teaching and training undergraduates in Community Medicine from first year onwards. We also contribute to teach community perspectives of other subjects in the undergraduate curriculum as per the PMDC (Pakistan Medical and Dental Council) criteria and syllabus and through community oriented medical education.
The department is well equipped with all requisite models /specimens and equipment for practical and tutorials. Field visits to places of public health importance, household surveys and research work in well-developed field demonstration area, are planned to help enhance student skills.
The well qualified faculty is also involved in many other teaching, service and research activities. We have a policy of mutual support and compassionate camaraderie in all activities and providing a conducive environment for effective learning. We are looking forward to be accredited with College of Physician and Surgeon and Air University to start MPH, FCPS and PhD programs.
Dr. Rukhsana Khan
HOD Community Medicine